Express Lift Tower
Also known as Express Lifts Tower
- It is the only lift-testing tower to have ever been built in the United Kingdom.
- In 1997 it was given Grade Two listing status, making it at the time the youngest listed building in the country.
- In January 1997 the tower fell into disuse and the land on it has since been sold to Wilcon Homes for development who found concrete cancer in it meaning they have to knock it down. Conveniently this also means that their housing estate can go ahead.
- Local people have defended the tower but it still faces an uncertain future today even if it has been saved from destruction so far.
- Terry Wogan, the broadcaster, has dubbed the the "light-house" of Northampton.
03-09-2014 > Northampton Lifts Tower To Open To Abseilers
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- Stimpson and Walton
- Express Lifts Company
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- Nearside, Northampton. NN5 5FJ
- Northampton Borough Council
- East Midlands
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in NN5
Collingwood Business Centre Lower Harding Street, Lower Harding Street, Northampton
FlexSpace Regents Pavilion, Summerhouse Road, Northampton
Fasset Property Services Caswell Science & Technology Park, Caswell, Towcester
Find Other Offices
- Proposal date
- Construction start date
- Completion date
- Heritage Status
- Grade II
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Primary Use
Metres > Feet