Find Building

Ely Cathedral Also known as The Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Ely and The Ship of the Fens

 

Images

Building Rating

Other Information

  • Ely Cathedral was started by Abbot Simeon under William the first in 1083 when it was carved out of the Diocese of Lincoln. Work continued until 1351.
  • The original tower was destroyed in 1322 in a collapse which severely damaged the choir and rebuilt as an octagonal tower. The change in styled created a cathedral that is effectively half Gothic, half Romanesque.
  • The Gothic octagonal tower is the only Gothic medieval dome in existence anywhere.
  • William Hurley the King's carpenter added a lantern tower of 43m tall to finish the present design off although a total of three mastercraftsman worked on the design at the same time. The cost of this was 24,061.34.
  • The church including the Lady Chapel is 172 metres making it the longest medieval church in western Europe. The nave is 61 metres long and 21.9 metres high.
  • As with many originally Norman cathedrals this was built on the site of a previously demolished Anglo Saxon church. Unusually however many of the relics were saved and are still displayed in the church today.
  • The north-west tower collapsed in the 15th century and was never rebuilt.
  • Ely Cathedral contains some of the finest Romanesque architecture in the UK, in particular the west front and the Galilee porch.

Companies

If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.

Architect
Alan De Walsingham
Developer
Dioscese of Ely
Structural Engineer
William Hurley
William de Houk

Reference Data

Reference No.
392
First Uploaded
19-02-2006
Last Editorial Date
08-11-2014
 

Building Location

Address
The College, Ely. CB7 4DL
Council
East Cambridgeshire District Council
County
Cambridgeshire
Region
East Anglia
Country
United Kingdom

View in Google Maps

Building Specification

Status
Complete
Construction start date
1082
Completion date
1351
Renovation Date
1839
Heritage Status
Grade I
Style
Romanesque

Roof Height (AGL)
66.00

Total Floors (O.G)
4

Market Data

Primary Use
Place of Worship
Secondary Use
Museum

Floorspace (sq m)
4,273.00

Metres > Feet